Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 8th = International Women's Day

I know what you're thinking ... How can it be international if I have never heard of it? That's what I thought! But apparently a holiday can be called international if more than 4 countries celebrate it ... and for this holiday that would included Eastern Europe and parts of Asia.

So what exactly is this day? Well, other than a day off work or school, it celebrates women! I like this, because you don't have to be a mom (Mother's Day) and you don't have to have a significant other (Valentine's Day). I got a flower and a gift from my students just for being a woman! I attended a fun party just for being a woman! Cool, huh!?

However, I think my favorite part about this holiday (and others) is that everyone congratulates everyone else on the holiday. Now it may just be poor translation, but I want to reply, "Thanks, but I had nothing to do with it!"

In spite of all this, at the end of the day another foreigner informed me that by definition of terms in this culture I wouldn't be considered a "woman". Apparently you have to be married to qualify ... oh, well ... at least they let me keep the flower! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Maybe we should celebrate this in the USA! Miss you friend and thinking of you today... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was told about womans international day from a doctor who is from Russia... but he did nothing to celebrate it for us! i told him he should buy us lunch but he would not! hahaha! anywho.. i'm glad you got a flower even if you are not married.

    ReplyDelete