Saturday, June 11, 2011

Turkish Satellite

I began scrolling through all of my Turkish satellite options tonight desperate for a English speaking program to zone out on. Besides the cartoon network, I found a station that was listing every war that has taken place in the world. I came in at WWI and watch for a few minutes before I started to cry. Not only were they listing the wars, but giving details as to the cost, damage and repercussions each war had caused (and we are still facing). I was ashamed. Ashamed to be apart of the human race that could do such things to each other and ashamed at how much my country had contributed to a lot of the suffering I was seeing.
I believe that these "stomach punches" are good on occasion. Often, even here, I get too easily focused on me and my immediate surroundings. Not that we can help or feel empathy for all of the people hurting in the world, but it should re-break our hearts and lead us toward asking God to show us how to help a few and how to love with more of His love.
Needless to say, I will think twice before surfing my Turkish satellite again.

No comments:

Post a Comment