Today I represented the United States of America at an International Day for an elementary school. I have to admit, I thought I had a poor selection of materials and preparation, but the children didn't seem to mind and were fascinated anyway. I also felt like a celebrity with all the pictures they wanted with me! (Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.)
Later in the day I was sitting down to eat and one of the shyest girls in the school came up to me. She stood very near my shoulder for about a minute not looking at me and then suddenly gave me a big hug with the biggest grin on her face! When she realized I hugged her back, she hugged me again. When we pulled apart, she took the sun glasses from my head, put them on me and laughed. Then I put them on her ... she laughed even harder while saying some non-understandable words.
This was a brief exchange that left us mutually happy. The thing I love about children is that they are so innocent and trusting ... everywhere in the world they want to give and receive expressions love. At that, thank goodness, doesn't take verbal communication! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment