Friday, April 29, 2011

reasons NOT to own a car

Among the top 100 reasons NOT to own a car in this country (and yes I could probably come up with that many) is what happens when you are in a serious accident. As I was walking home today, I approached a large mass of people. They were blocking the entire sidewalk and about half of the street. As I got closer, for there was no way for me to get where I wanted to go except through them, I glanced in the direction of the loudest commotion. I saw one car that was completely smashed in on the side and 3 men standing nearby in a heated argument. Tea was being brought out from a Pharmacy shop to some women and children that I assumed were the other occupants and 30-40 other people were just standing around.
The oddity however, was that there was no policeman nor health care professional in sight! (It seems policemen are everywhere in the city except where they are really needed.) I am sure neither of the drivers had insurance of any sort as it is not required or even suggested here. Looks like you just settle things by arguing in the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment