Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cop time!

Tonight I was spontaneously on my way to meet a good friend in a nearby city park, when not 10 steps into the park I am met by a police officer. He approaches me and in very good English begins to ask where I am from, what I am doing in Ganja and if I have my documents on me. Of course I don't! I had just run out of my flat to meet my friend! I explained that to him and began to walk away. He followed me asking me more questions in English.
At first, I was on-edge and anxious. But then a peace came over me. I decided to be friendly back and just make conversation. He responded well to this telling me his name, where he has traveled as a former professional kick-boxer (I was skeptical about that), about his family and etc. When we finally reached the spot where I was suppose to meet my friend, she wasn't there. Bummer, now I get to talk to this guy longer. Three times during our walk he asked me to take his phone number. I didn't want to. Finally, I agreed to take ,but not give him mine ... and he was okay with that. He said he just wanted me to call him if I ever got into any trouble at any time. That was nice and seemed like a genuine offer. It would be nice to have a police-friend who speaks English just in case ...
Eventually, my friend found us and was shocked to find me talking to a policeman. Everyone here avoids them as much as possible. When she approached, I immediately saw his countenance change. He had started to smile as we talked, but returned to his stone-cold grimace as if on cue.
I hope I can remember my police friend Chaqkaz's name next time I see him. Thank you Lord for your peace and quick-thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment