While this culture may be seen as backwards or a little behind in the times by most of the Western world, I think that there are many things that my culture could learn from the people in the Caspian. Here are three off the top of my head:
1 - The enjoyment of doing dishes. Yes, almost everyone I have talked to enjoys doing the dishes! Things here take more time to do and often it is an escape for some of them. (No, I have not acquired this one yet.)
2 - The chivalry of giving up a bus seat. Everytime (and I am not exaggerating) I ride the bus young men, and sometimes older ones too, almost jump out of their seat when they see a woman (of any age) get on with no empty seats available. I am quite impressed and it makes me want to act likewise.
3 - The importance of families living close together. Everytime I talk about my family I get looks of bewilderment when I mention that we do not all live in the same city, let alone share the same house! Here, it is common ... almost expected for everyone to live with ALL of their family until they are married and sometimes afterwards. While I am not necessarily in favor of this extreme, I do think our Western society has lost a key component in valuing family.
No comments:
Post a Comment