Friday, January 7, 2011

"Excuse me, Mr. President ..."

An additional oddity I have yet to get use to here is the all the overwhelming political propaganda for their current president and as well as the former one. Not only do I pass multiple life-size billboards of the president on a casual stroll around town, but there are portraits in some shops and homes as well. Let's just say, I would know him anywhere!
A statue of the former president stands in the city center and on the anniversary of his death school children lined up all day to lay fake flowers at the foot of it. (I wonder what they did with all the flowers?) In this same courtyard a huge 40+ foot long cake (that took at least 2 weeks to make) was put together to celebrate the current president's birthday! (No, I didn't try a piece.)
Trying to put myself in their shoes, maybe I would feel the same way about George Washington while living during the presidency of John Adams ... although I am still overwhelmed and baffled!


On another note ...
"He [our Heavenly Father] is present with all of us[believers], keeping us connected even when geography separates."

I borrowed this statement from my friend Amber Livermore because it totally resonated with how I have felt here the last four months, but especially the last month during the holidays. Isn't it awesome how "the Body" supports and takes care of its own ... even if people would otherwise have nothing else in common?

1 comment:

  1. JULES!
    Happy 2011! Boy do I sure miss you friend! The other day a picture of you came up on my computer. You were wearing 2009 glasses, had a confetti popper in your hand and of course a big smile on your face. It made me miss you even more. :( Good thing I know that you are following the Father's leading in your life and are under His constant care. :) We lifted you up specifically tonight at First Fridays. Keep on blogging friend. I love hearing your thoughts, what He's teaching you, and how He's using you in Azerbaijan!

    ReplyDelete